Thursday, March 25, 2010

Telephones' Ringing Again.....Gaga?

Controversy is hot on the heels of Lady Gaga yet again! Umm...d'ah! Pushing the social envelope is not alien to her and I honestly hope she never stops. No, the "Telephone" video is not for everybody. I would not let my 10 year old watch it. Hell, I shoo the Pretty Girl out of the room when I play the "Bad Romance" clip on our 360. A side note...my sweet 10 year old is NOT googoo for Gaga. Teenage Daughter, on the other hand, loves Gaga and thought the video was "weird but likes the song". Sweet! Of course, I had more sense than the Gods gave paste and talked over some of the "themes" in the clip. For example: smoking, lesbianism, poisoning, breaking laws. I'm quite sure that I'm missing some others. At any rate, TD understands the difference between the real world and fiction. This is where I give TD credit. Yes, she's tried smoking. It made her sick. She understands that the man/woman, "traditional" relationship, is not the only love that exists in the world and finally that breaking the law is not a good thing. Great! I've done my job as her parent! So I say this to the bible-thumping, neo-conservative public....QUIT YOUR BITCHIN' and DON'T FRAKKIN' WATCH. Done!
You know, I remember a singer that hit huge in the 80's. She wore her undies on the outside, mesh shirts and tight skirts, wore a bazzillion rubber bracelets and rosaries.....ringing any bells? She sang about virgins and dressing you up in her love, dancing, singing, and expressing yourself! My folks were not at all pleased that I adopted this singers style into my own...at the same time, I found myself, my personal style, and my own creative outlet. INSPIRATION!!!! She too, caused a hell of a stir. Controversy followed her everywhere. Madonna, yes, Madonna in her hay day inspired me. She still does today though to a lesser extent than Gaga, but the message remains the same. Think outside of the box, embrace who you are, love it, own it. I try very hard to teach that lesson to my girls. Be who you are, not what "every one else" says who you should be. PEACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment